Being in a grounded state refers to any time a player is standing, crouching, or moving on the ground—in short whenever a player has full control over their character. This is the only state in which one can remain indefinitely. Grounded players have a large number of options available.
- When grounded and outside of blockstun, players are vulnerable to throws and command grabs.
- Grounded players can easily be hit multiple times with normal attacks or hitconfirms.
- Normal moves are generally always considered to be grounded, regardless of how the animation appears. Other types of moves do not follow this rule, but they also do not always correspond to the animation.
- Running is a grounded state; however, backdashing is not.
- Jumping/hopping is considered grounded for the first few frames, known as "jump startup".