- n. - with the joystick in neutral position
- j. - jumping
- nj. - neutral jump
- st. - standing
- cr. - crouching
- dj. - diagonal jump
- sj. - super jump.
- Plus symbol (+) - Press the button together
- X symbol (x or xx) - Cancel the previous move before the end of animation into a new one.
- [ ] x n - A bracket refers to a sequence that is repeated "n" times. Example: "CC, c.HK, qcb+HK, [mp srk]x3, HP shoryuken."
- Comma sign (,) - Press one button after the other in sequence, e.g.: Raging demon, lp, lp, f, lk, HP (or lp x2, f, lk, HP), or linking combos (e.g.: c.lp, c.lk, c.mp).
- Piano: Refers to rolling your fingers through an arcade stick as if the buttons were piano keys to increase your chances of pressing a button at the right time.
- Negative edge: Special command moves can be executed by releasing, instead of pushing, a button.