SuperCombo is for the FGC, by GBL. We don't run ads or sell user data. If you enjoy the site, consider supporting our work.
|Want to be an editor? Join the SuperCombo Discord and read #server-and-wiki-info for registration.|
Marvel vs Capcom 2/SonSon
SonsonIII, or simply Sonson, is one of the three original characters of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. She is the granddaughter of the original Sonson from the 1984 Capcom game of the same name. wielding the Ruyi Jingu, a shapeshifting staff that he received from her grandfather, she set out on a journey to solve the mystery of the strange disease that struck her home village.
In MvC2, Sonson is an alright assist character with plenty of tricks up her sleeves to confuse or keep the pressure on, depending on one's play style. Though she isn't terribly strong, she's a lot of fun to play and get good at which is what MvC2 is all about right?
First row: LP, HP, A1. Second row: LK, HK, A2.
Sonson has 6 special attacks and 3 Supers, pretty standard like many characters, but her staff gives her pretty decent range and she attacks quickly with kick attacks as well. Her normals make it easy to cancel into specials and supers as they are mostly multi-hit.
- LP: Staff Rush - Can be tapped twice for 3 hit combo. Hands down the best starter for any combo/canceling technique and also her fastest.
- LP (Crouching) - Can be tapped for 2 hit combo. Effective for aerial combo introduction.
- HP: Staff Slam - Overhead slam, moderate damage
- HP (Air) - Spins staff for a 3 hit combo, best ending for any air combo she does
- HP (Holding Forward) - Thrusts staff forward knocking opponents back. Relatively quick and can stop rushdowns.
- HP (Crouching): Staff Sweep - Sweeping attack, knocks opponents down
- LK - Another 3 hit combo if tapped twice. First attack is low which can be mixed up with LP for interesting combos/cancels
- HK: Staff Swing - Swings on staff and kicks opponent. Moderate damage, but risky because it takes a lot of frames to complete.
- HK (Air) - Two footed kick downwards, good air to ground combo starter. Lower frames compared to air HP.
Gansai Hekiretsu: f + hp
Two way air-dash
*Offensive and Defensive Balance is key! - It's good to lay on the pressure in the beginning or towards the middle of the match, but if you openly attack at every chance you get, your opponent will read for holes in your defense. What you want to do is be inconsistent to throw your opponent off his/her game so they cannot predict your movements as much. It's an easy pitfall to get stuck in since SonSon can attack so fast and so often, but if your opponent is blocking 3/4s of the attacks and catching you on your broken defense, what's the point? On the other side of the spectrum, blocking too much will get you killed for sure. Once you're in the corner you will get assist spammed to hell and back since SonSon cannot get out of the corner easily nor does she have a wide radial attack for clearing space as other characters do. Kinggo could be a saving grace, but that move is very conditional since it can be blocked.
Here are some simple combos and basic movement strategy to adopt.
- LP, F+HP, Seit
- cLP,cLP,cLK,cHK - LP, LK, LP, HP - Does about a quarter+ HP damage if you can continue the combo in the air.
- LP,LP,cHP,Shienbu (Monkeys)
- LP,LP,cHP,Shienbu (Monkeys), POW
- LP,LP,cHK,LP,Fusets - Safety combo. You can block from the Fusets if the combo fails somehow.
If you're dealing with a runner you can use the Shienbu (Monkeys) then airdash into LP, LP...
There really isn't much of a specific "advanced" strategy that is only for SonSon, it's applicable to all characters: play smart, capitalize on openings and human error, and anticipate.
- Here are a few more advanced combos that cancel into supers:
- LP,LP,Seit,Tenchi (Giant stick attack) - Basically Seit --> Tenchi is the Bread and Butter Super cancel since you can do both in the air. This is will be your main combo of choice plain and simple.
- cLP,cLP,cLK,cHK - LP, LK, LP, Seit, Tenchi - Does pretty good damage if you can actually get it off without error. Takes practice, but if you can get this off the opponent is down to about half health give or take. The Seit throws off the momentum of the combo and if you don't cancel in time, it will be blocked along with the Tenchi.
Against Storm? You're going to die. BUT if you are trying to do something, tiger-knee monkeys are ok if she's far away. That way you can block on the way down. If you do normal jump monkeys, you are prone afterwards. Off-the-wall is also a good tool. If you predict a ground typhoon correctly, you can kick her out of it into an uppercut into super. If she's flying and typhooning in the air, that is a perfect time for you to use your pole super. Also remember that you can monkey super through her hailstorm. Even at top level play, don't expect this matchup to be fair.
Against Cable? You are REALLY going to die. You try ANYTHING, you are getting shot. You have to be patience and navigate the minefield to get close to him. If he does a normal shot near you, you can sweep him with down fierce. But yeah, anything you do is very punishable by Cable. You can fake a wall move by doing the wall run then pressing punch to cancel it, in order to bait out an AHVB. But that's pretty much all you have :( If you have enough energy, you could monkey-up and take an AHVB, but you can punish him after the first one and then DHC.
SonSon can be quite versatile if used correctly. There are few weaknesses she has, namely her assists aren't that strong. I've been able to rival some very very skilled Magnetos because SonSon's LP is almost as quick as his LK. If you like her then use her because the tier guides don't mean anything if the players aren't skilled.
--Yeyzor 05:57, 9 July 2010 (UTC)yeyzor