|Want to be an editor? Join the SuperCombo Discord and read #server-and-wiki-info for registration.|
The ratio system
Owing to the many years of a solidified "top tier" meta in competitive MVC2 centered around extremely strong teams an alternative set of rules for team building has risen known as "ratios". In general it works like this: Each player has a point budget they may spend on the team of 3 characters to select before gameplay. Strong characters cost the most points while weaker characters cost less points usually divided by cost groups.
The cost groups are generally designed to make it impossible to pick a team of 3 top tier characters, and incentivize carefully picking characters that are considered weaker without risking an entire team on the survival of a single strong character and two other comparatively useless characters.
The first appearance of a ratio chart for MvC2 appears to be Shaowebb's graphic from 2018. Shaowebb's approach makes a unique decision to allow a player an additional point if Roll is on the team (meaning her cost is -1 or +1 to the player's budget). The concept took off in popularity following Justin Wong's proposed system on March 16, 2021.
For Ratio Teams/Shells, check out the teams page here
Justin Wong's systems
Considered the "standard" by the MVC2 community and most popular variant. His system allocates 7 points to each player and divides characters into the following groups.
JWong's 2021 Ratio List
- 5 points: Cable, Iron Man, Magneto, Sentinel, Spiral, Storm.
- 4 points: Blackheart, Cammy, Captain Commando, Cyclops, Dhalsim, Doctor Doom, Psylocke, Strider, Tron Bonne, War Machine.
- 3 points: Colossus, Guile, Iceman, Jill, Juggernaut, Mega Man, Omega Red, Rogue, Ruby Heart, Silver Samurai.
- 2 points: Akuma, Anakaris, B.B. Hood, Charlie, Felicia, Gambit, Hulk, Jin, Ken, M. Bison, Marrow, Morrigan, Ryu, Sabretooth, Sakura, SonSon, Spider-Man, Thanos, Venom, Zangief.
- 1 point: Amingo, Captain America, Chun-Li, Dan, Hayato, Servbot, Shuma-Gorath, and both Wolverine variants.
- 0 points: Roll.
This system makes it impossible to pick more than one of the characters considered "God" or "Top" tiers while positioning Roll as the "empty" or "useless" pick. One observation about this spread is that many tier lists place Wolverine much higher in traditional tiers than his companions in the 1 point group. A mod has been created to enforce the rules of this system on the Character Select screen for the arcade version.
JWong's 2022 Ratio List
- 5 points: Cable, Iron Man, Magneto, Sentinel, Storm.
- 4 points: Blackheart, Cammy, Captain Commando, Cyclops, Doctor Doom, Psylocke, Spiral, Strider, Tron Bonne, War Machine.
- 3 points: Colossus, Dhalsim, Guile, Hulk, Juggernaut, Ken, Mega Man, Omega Red, Rogue, Ruby Heart, Sakura, Silver Samurai, Spider-Man.
- 2 points: Anakaris, B.B. Hood, Captain America, Charlie, Gambit, Iceman, Jill, Jin, M. Bison, Morrigan, Sabretooth, SonSon, Thanos, Zangief.
- 1 point: Akuma, Amingo, Felicia, Hayato, Marrow, Ryu, Shuma-Gorath, Venom, and both Wolverine variants.
- 0 points: Chun-Li, Dan, Roll, and Servbot.
This updated version is explained here, and tries to rebalance JWong's 2021 ratio system. It has expanded options at the 0 point slot so you're not forced to pick Roll... and so people aren't forced to play against people picking Roll. Bankbank has released an updated mod for this new list.
The first public record of this ratio system is in a tweet from 2018.
This is the system that appears in Justin Wong's Youtube video where he enters an online tournament using a ratio system. Though Justin claims Roll was counted at 0 points for that tournament, the original system places her at -1 cost. This system allocates 7 points to each player and divides characters into the following groups:
- 5 points: Cable, Cyclops, Doctor Doom, Magneto, Sentinel, Storm.
- 4 points: Dhalsim, Strider, Psylocke, War Machine, Spiral, Tron Bonne, Iron Man, Blackheart, Captain Commando.
- 3 points: Anakaris, Cammy, Colossus, Gambit, Guile, Iceman, Juggernaut, Marrow, Mega Man, Omega Red, Rogue, Ruby Heart, Silver Samurai, Spider-Man, Venom and both Wolverine variants.
- 2 points: Akuma, B.B. Hood, Captain America, Charlie, Felicia, Hulk, Jill, Jin, Ken, M. Bison, Morrigan, Ryu, Sakura, SonSon, Zangief.
- 1 point: Amingo, Chun-Li, Dan, Hayato, Sabretooth, Servbot, Shuma-Gorath, Thanos.
- -1 point: Roll.
- This means that if you pick Roll, you are given an extra point instead. In this configuration you can do otherwise impossible teams such as Sentinel, Juggernaut and Roll (8 points).