SuperCombo is for the FGC, by GBL. We don't run ads or sell user data. If you enjoy the site, consider supporting our work.
|Want to be an editor? Join the SuperCombo Discord and read #server-and-wiki-info for registration.|
Super Street Fighter IV/Blanka
Stranded in the Brazilian rain forests when his plane went down, Jimmy was forced to survive alone in the jungles and that's how he became the beast known as Blanka. After finally deciding to see the world, he entered in the Street Fighting tournament and was thus reunited with his mother. He also managed to meet and befriend Dan Hibiki and, despite Blanka being the one who saved Dan's life, now Dan treats Blanka as his #1 pupil. Blanka doesn't mind as he feels happy to finally have a close friend in Dan.
In a nutshell
Blanka's gameplay definitely matches his exterior: it is oftentimes wild and unpredictable. Many Blanka players go for mix-ups and shenanigans using his myriad of ways to continually switch sides on the opponent, while other Blankas will play extremely defensive and try to time you out as often as possible. Definitely a character where your personality can come through, using Blanka means keeping your opponent on their toes all the time.
- Hard knockdown times can be variable character to character due to non universal wake up times.
- With F.throw Juri/Ibuki/Makoto/Rufus/Bison/Fuerte/Ken/Ryu get up one frame faster than the cast standard(80 frames), Cammy and Sagat get up 1 frame slower(82 frames), Blanka gets up 2 frames slower(83 frames), and Adon gets up 6 or 7 frames faster(74 or 73 frames).
- With crouching HK Sagat and Cammy get up 1 frame slower(49 frames), Blanka gets up 2 frames slow(50 frames), and Adon gets up 6 or 7 frames faster(41 or 42 frames).
Blanka is often categorized as a gimmick character or a turtle character, however that really isn't the case. He does have solid defensive options and a wide variety of unsafe gimmicks, but they are only part of the equation. In actuality Blanka is a footsie character who has a balanced array of offensive and defensive options.
- Very fast jump with a great attacking arc
- Great anti-fireball game with slide, coward's crouch, ex horizontal ball, and U2
- Great anti-air options
- Good footsie normals
- Lots of + frames on blocked electricity
- 4 frame U1 which allows for meter free combos to ultra and the ability to punish heavily
- Builds meter well
- Extremely mobile
- Lots of ambiguous mixups and gimmicks
- Fast focus attack
- Slightly below average stun
- Low damage output without a jump in, ultra, or super which hurts his comeback potential
- Horiztonal and vertical balls are very punishable on both hit and block
- Reversals can easily be option selected against
- Very vulnerable to divekick pressure
- Hard to break opponents defenses safely
- Must use EX meter for invincible reversal
Stamina(Health) – 1000 Stun – 950
- Safe Jumps:
It is very easy to time a safejump with Blanka off of his f.throw because of the number of available timing mechanisms available.
After f.throw: f.dash, f.hop, nj.hk/j.mk(works vs. 4 frame reversals) and mp ball, j.hk(works against 5 frame reversals) should be your primary options if you are attempting to safejump. Against Juri/Ibuki/Makoto/Rufus/Bison/Fuerte who wake up a frame early, you can substitute the hop for another dash, or simply do f.throw, jump(land), j.hk for a frame perfect safejump.
cr.hk is not as good for safejumps because you do not have frame perfect setups, you generally have to time it manually. b.throw is less damaging than f.throw, and better used for ambiguous setups and unblockables.
Combining safejumps with additional option selects is important.
1) After a hard knockdown jump in with a safe-jump hk, and press df+hp after. Immediately continue to a jump in combo. This option select is good vs. characters with poor wakeup, if they backdash the df.hp slide will come out catching them. If the jump in hits your combo should start as normal. If blocked you should be at frame advantage because of cl.mp or a normal canceled into elec, and can continue your offense from here. Due to the distance df.hp covers, and the amount of frames it stays active, it will hit more than just backdashes. This includes some teleports and Vega's backflips
- Back Throw:
Blanka's most only practical unblockable works off of his backthrow. The setup is fairly simple. Backthrow, f.dash, j.mk.
It works against the following characters -
Bread and Butters
Hit Confirm Combos
Dizzy / Focus Crumple Combos
Combos Into Supers
Combos Into Ultras
- Vs. Abel
To Be Written (TBW)
- Vs. Adon
- Vs. Akuma
- Vs. Balrog
- Vs. Blanka
- Vs. C. Viper
- Vs. Cammy
- Vs. Chun Li
- Vs. Cody
- Vs. Dan
- Vs. Dee Jay
- Vs. Dhalsim
- Vs. Dudley
- Vs. E. Honda
- Vs. El Fuerte
- Vs. Fei Long
- Vs. Gen
- Vs. Gouken
- Vs. Guile
- Vs. Guy
- Vs. Hakan
- Vs. Ibuki
- Vs. Juri
- Vs. Ken
- Vs. M. Bison
- Vs. Makoto
- Vs. Rose
- Vs. Rufus
- Vs. Ryu
- Vs. Sagat
- Vs. Sakura
- Vs. Seth
- Vs. T. Hawk
- Vs. Vega
- Vs. Zangief